Friday, January 9, 2009

Arlington, Virginia

Third Assignment: Arlington, Virginia
Dates: October 17, 2005-January 14th, 2006
Address: 706 N. Wayne Street
Unit 205
Arlington, VA 22201
Sheffield Court
Hospital: Virginia Hospital Center

Well, I arrived on Sunday, Oct 16th after spending the week visiting Mama, Daddy, Chuck, Brooke, Lauren and Luke. I also saw Cindi and Annie while in Valdosta. I left my things at Aunt Nell’s house and picked them up on the way back. We went shopping in Raleigh and played Bingo. I won $90. It was fun!

When I got to my apartment complex I was put in the wrong apartment and I didn’t realize it until after the office was closed and I had moved all my stuff up to the second floor apartment. So I had to move all of my things to the right apartment on Monday, which of course was also on the second floor in another building. I thought my arms would fall off!! The apartment was alright, but it was in need of an update. The clubhouse was really nice. It has a good fitness room (which I actually used a couple times), a bar, a theater room, a big screen TV, and a business center.

I went to work on Monday and Tuesday during the day shift for orientation. Not too bad…then came night shift. This hospital is so behind in terms of computer charting. They seriously need to update their computer system. Also, the scheduling is messed up almost everyday and they don’t plan ahead at all. Definitely not a place to work full time! The nurses are very nice though, which was only way I made it through the entire 13 weeks without quitting! There was also another traveler who lived across the courtyard from me. She felt the same way I did about the hospital. Glad it was only for 3 months. Rebecca and I went to the Cheesecake Factory a couple times. We walked both times, bundled up in our coats, scarves, and hats. Rebecca went back to Australia for 6 weeks and then came back and took a travel assignment in California. She also got me interested in Hockey. I went to a Capitals game…so much fun. I still hear from her every now and then online. (She is now married with two kids and living in Minnesota.)

I also hung out with Tami Kelley. She was a lot of fun to work with and hang out with. We went out a few times and had a great time. I also keep in touch with her online.

Arlington is a very pretty town. I can’t believe it is only 4 miles from DC. Just riding around you can see the monuments in DC. It’s so awesome! It’s gorgeous at night! I lived across the street from Arlington Cemetery. There is serious shopping to be done here! Every store you can imagine is within 10 miles or so! I also went to a Wizards basketball game too. That was pretty good, but I was up in the nose bleed section, so they kind of looked like ants! It also snowed a little bit while I was there. It was pretty icy on the side roads. I almost slid into another car parked on the side of the road. (Turns out it was only practice for all the snow in Connecticut and Boston! Litttle did I know the amounts of snow I would be driving in!)

Overall, it was a pretty good experience. I had a great time exploring DC and the surrounding areas. Just not at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment