Friday, January 9, 2009

Palo Alto, California

Ninth Assignment: Palo Alto, CA
Dates: December 17th, 2007-
Address: Schooner Bay Apartments
551 Windlass Lane
Foster City, CA 94404
Hospital: Lucille Packard Children's Hospital

I only had the weekend in between my Phoenix assignment and this new assignment in Palo Alto. My dad flew out to Phoenix and drove me to Palo Alto. We spent the night in Palm Springs and went the rest of the way the next day. We moved me in on Friday and explored San Francisco and the Bay area on Saturday and Sunday. He flew home on Sunday. It was a quick trip for him.

My mom flew out in January for a week. We did almost everything there was to do in that week! We shopped, ate and explored the area! We went to San Jose, Gilroy, Half Moon Bay, San Francisco, Berkeley, Palo Alto, San Mateo, and of course Foster City. We had so much fun in San Francisco trying not to get blown away by the insane wind and also trying to stay dry!
The hospital was not exactly what I was expecting considering it is part of Stanford University, but it's not too bad. It is definitely better than the previous hospital! I worked night shift for the first two months and then went to day shift. I definitely prefer day shift. It can be busy and chaotic at times, but what place isn't?? It sure is boring without the fun people there, aka Brandie, Butch, Lindsay, Gina, and Elizabeth.

I went to San Francisco a lot while I was there, mostly by myself. I did go with Brandie and Butch and search for a new ring for Ray the whole time . We finally met up with Lindsay and Gina, more travel nurses. We all went over to Sausalito and had dinner. That was a fun time.
I went to a few hockey games in San Jose. I saw the Sharks play Phoenix, Chicago, and Montreal...which I found out later that Butch was working in the next section over at that game! I could of talked to him while I was there and not have been by myself the whole time as usual. Well, now I know he works there and at the hospital.

I have made a lot of friends here, at work and outside of work. I met some fun girls (Virginia, Lita and Susan) at the Crowne Plaza in Foster City. I went out with them a few times and have had a good time each time. I have also met some great friends at work, other travelers, especially Brandie (from Alabama). She invited me to Reno and Tahoe with her husband, Ray, and Butch. We had the BEST time! I attempted to snowboard, but I am a Snowboard School Dropout! I only made it about 30 minutes before my ankle gave out! I had to get Brandie to unhook my feet from my snowboard! So for the rest of the day I just relaxed and watched other people fall down like I did or snowboard/ski really well! We stayed in Reno and went out the first night. That was a lot of fun! We were laughing, talking, and dancing. We even gambled a little bit! Brandie also organized a limo tour of Napa Valley. There were 10 nurses total that went! We had so much fun! We were 10 crazy girls!!! The limo ride was fun and Napa was gorgeous and very green! The wine tasting was okay, but just hanging out together was the best part! It was 8 travelers, 1 ex traveler and one staff nurse! We laughed so much and danced in the limo and out of the limo! We also did a mini tour of San Francisco. We drove over the Golden Gate Bridge, drove by Lombard Street, and took pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge.

I went to see Ann while she was visiting San Francisco. I met her boyfriend, Olivier. He was nice and funny. We all had a good time exploring and riding the Cable Cars together. Unfortunately I was only able to see Ann for the one day because I had to work the other two days she was in town, but at least I got to see her.

I celebrated my 28th birthday in HAWAII! I stayed on Waikiki Beach on Oahu. It was gorgeous. I rented a Mustang Convertible and drove all the way around the island. I went to the North Shore and the Polynesian Cultural Center. At the PCC I went to see the Horizon's show, which was all the different islands traditional dances. It was very interesting. I also went to see Pearl Harbor and went to the South Shore. I saw an amazing sunset before I had to go back to the airport. It was a very quick trip, but I saw a lot!

I attempted to get another assignment in Seattle and even Maryland, but neither one worked out. Then I started hanging out with Brandie and Butch a lot more, so extending sounded better and better. I was very stressed out because the hospital was taking it's time letting me know if I could extend or not. I didn't know until I was on my way home to GA for two weeks. I was planning to fly home for 2 weeks and then fly back to another 3 months at LPCH. I had to move out of my apartment because it was already rented to someone else. I was hoping to move closer to the hospital because the traffic is so bad. I left my car full of my stuff at Brandie's apartment and she and Ray took me to the airport early, early in the morning. However, it did not work out for me to extend at LPCH. The census was too low to hire me back on as a traveler. So I had to start over and start looking for a new job. Meanwhile, I was having fun in California with Brandie, Ry, and Butch! Finally after two weeks, I was able to find a job in Bakersfield, California.
I had a great time in Georgia for those two weeks. I went over to see everyone in Valdosta. I jumped on the trampoline with Luke and Lauren a lot! Luke really liked me this time! He even knew my name! Lauren and Luke wanted to go with me when I went to get my hair done and when I went to eat dinner with Annie and Cindi! They were very disappointed when they couldn't go. I had a good dinner at Mori with Annie and Cindi, which I hadn't seen in a long, long time! After Valdosta, I drove down to see Missy and Tom for Easter weekend. We went shopping and gambling in Ft. Lauderdale and went to the movies on Easter since the mall was CLOSED!! Who closes the mall?? The rest of the time I spent in St. Simons with my parents. I went up in the lighthouse for the first time. It was very windy up there and there were so many stairs!! It was a really nice view, especially the sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment