Friday, January 9, 2009

Durham, North Carolina

Seventh Assignment: Durham, North Carolina
Dates: January 22nd-July 21st, 2007
Address: 5205 Rose Garden Lane
Durham, NC 27707
Lenox at Patterson Place
Hospital: Durham Regional Hospital

After driving back across the country will my dad, I started my assignment in Durham, North Carolina. Overall, this was a good assignment. I was finally able to get a Nursery position, which , of course, is my favorite. I love working with the babies! I was working 3pm to 11pm for the first 3 months and then I was able to work 11am to 11pm for the second 3 months. The nurses were very nice and welcoming as usual. The only problem was the fact that a lot of the staff had left prior to my coming there, so it was very short staffed. Another good thing was that they had paper charting, which makes it easier and faster to chart on the babies! Except when you have to take care of 8 babies that are all in the mom's rooms or you have brand new babies coming in one after the other to be assessed for the first time.

I made some good friends while on this assignment. I went to Carolina Beach and the Biltmore Estate with Stacey. We had a really good time at both places. Also, my aunt was only about 1 hour away, so I got to see her a lot while I was there. We went to Myrtle Beach, shopping in Durham/Raleigh area, gambling in Atlantic City with my sister, as well as New York City. While in NYC, we went to see the Broadway play “Legally Blonde: The Musical”. That was really fun and exciting to see! We also ate a Serendipity 3! The desserts are heavenly! Unfortunately my aunt got a case of food poisoning while in NYC and wasn't able to go to the play or eat at Serendipity 3. We will just have to try again another time!(Luckily for Aunt Nell there is a Serendipity 3 in Vegas.)

I took a quick trip up to Boston while I was there! I went to my second Red Sox game, which they won!! I went July 1st through 4th, so I went to see the Boston Pops Concert for a little while. I did some shopping and a lot of walking around wishing I didn't have to go back to North Carolina. I just love Boston!

I almost had an assignment in NYC after Durham, but while I was deciding on NYC I got a call from Cambridge, Massachusetts! I tried for 4 weeks to get that assignment! I had to wait 2 weeks for my license, then another 2 weeks to wait for the nurse manager to tell me that they no longer needed me! It was very sad. I was so excited thinking I was finally making it to Boston! Oh well, I guess it just wasn't the right time yet! Then while I tried to find another assignment I stayed with my parents and visited my family and friends. After a total of 5 ½ weeks I finally got an assignment in Phoenix, Arizona. So it was time to drive back across country! My mom drove with me this time. We took another 4 days and 2200 miles to get to Phoenix. We went through Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe.

No comments:

Post a Comment